Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Wanna Talk About Me, Wanna Talk About I


Goodness, this would be the week that I decided to do a Top Ten Tuesday post after a long absence from them, wouldn't it?

For those not in the know, Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week, participants get a theme and list our "top tens."

It's usually book-related, but today is a bit different. Today is "Top Ten Posts on Your Blog That Would Give The BEST Picture of You."  Those posts on your blog that you wish everyone would read.

Or, in other words, go ahead and break out a little Toby Keith. (Love this song.)

"I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one
Oh my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see
I like talking about you you you you, usually, but occasionally
I wanna talk about me."

I know. I have a BLOG; what else do I do here besides talk about what I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see?

You want to know a little more about me? These 10 posts will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

1. Wonder (May 13, 2011)

Dear Melissa, I'm writing this to you exactly 26 years from now, on May 13, 2011.  You're still a little bit groggy, still a little bit sick from this morning ....

2. Inauguration Day (January 20, 2011)

Yet hope was nowhere to be found in a cramped examination room on January 20, 2004, as our questions went unanswered, as we took a badly-photocopied article about the signs of autism, as we collapsed in tears and blinked in disbelief when asked to decide (not at this moment, you have time, but not much) on a therapeutic course of action before the proverbial guillotined window of time would slam shut on our 2 year old's blond head.

And yet, while the memory and heartbreak of this day never quite disappears, and I find myself replaying the moments of the day this is when we left this is when she told us this is when we came back home, I try to look at our January 20 as more of an Inauguration Day.   .....


My grandfather "wasn't doing well" that summer. In those days, in the sultry summer of 1990, people had just started saying the word cancer in octaves higher than a whisper. And in those days, eyebrows were still raised when women "of a certain age" exerted some degree of independence. 

My feisty, stubborn as heck, petite grandmother was living alone, at 77 years old, in the rowhouse where she and her husband had raised three children - and mourned their middle child, that being my father.  My grandfather's illness had advanced to the point where it was time for a nursing home, where my grandmother was determined to visit him every day, despite the fact that she didn't drive.....

4. Ya Gotta Believe (October 27, 2008)
She was almost 1 that October when we celebrated her baptism with dozens of relatives crowded around the television in my aunt and uncle's Philadelphia rowhouse, cheering on the Phils. It's possible that my uncle entertained the family by playing the piano for awhile; I'm not sure. But what I remember most about that day was my little cousin propped in a special seat by the TV with the happiest expression on her little face, somehow sensing the palpable excitement that the Phillies brought to the party....

5. In Blogs I Trust (September 17, 2010)

More than 54% of people are distrustful of ... well, almost everything.  (And given the state of the economy and everything else under the sun, who can really blame them, right?) But at the top of the untrustworthy list?  Blogs, banks, and Congress. Um ... blogs? Really? ....

6. My Velveteen Friends, The Ones Who Keep Me Real and Grounded (August 9, 2010)

Our words - how we write them, share them, make an impact with them, change lives with them.  That's what BlogHer10 was about. Sometimes it was even about the words that didn't need to be said because they already had been written.

I had the words from The Velveteen Rabbit running through my mind after meeting a certain group of very special friends to me, the bloggers known as the "autism moms" or the "autism bloggers," for lack of a better description.  Those of us who pour our hearts out here 24/7 onto our keyboards, writing about our kids, the controversies, our deepest inner-most feelings.  They were, all of a sudden, here. Real.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse.  "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit. .....

7. The Years of the PR Grins (July 16, 2011)

...one of the reasons I'm having such a hard time with this move and particularly, leaving this house, is that it represents the last time I was filled with abundant hope, when I still believed in dreams and I trusted that things could get better...
...and coming on the heels of having just finished reading Michael Cunningham's brilliant new novel By Nightfall, and as our little group gathers together to have dinner tonight - these five of us together for the first time in more than 20 years, a gathering organized on Facebook - I'm thinking about what has lasted and what remains from those days when we were beautiful, and smiling at how miraculous and glorious it all is that we're still here, all of us, still connected, inextricably woven into each others lives.....

8. The Black Box (November 16, 2008)
And I thought about my own Black Box, that internal parental GPS containing all the hopes and dreams one has for a child in-utero and in infancy. How it was smashed to smithereens that January day and how, since then, we've painstakingly picked up piece by miniscule piece to try and create a life for Boo where - to use a phrase I wrote constantly when I worked for a residential facility for kids and adults with disabilities - he could reach his full potential.....

9. Father's Day 2011: The Here and the Now (June 19, 2011)

Because it's not like The Husband doesn't know how I feel, for God's sakes.  Obviously, he knows that I think he is a great Dad and a wonderful husband, yada yada yada, so it doesn't really matter.

But see, here's the thing:  it kinda sorta does ....

10. My Best Books I Read in 2011 Lists: Best Fiction, Young Adult, and Short Stories (December 30, 2011)


copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

maternalinstincts said...

xo :-)

maternalinstincts said...

xo :-)

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, what a wonderful assortment of blog posts! Mine are all book-related since...well...that is my book blog. I save most of the personal stuff for my chronic illness blog.

I do understand, though, some of what you talk about here about your son(? I think son) because both of our sons have the same illness I have. One is doing fine on medication, and the other is struggling for assorted reasons. Whatever the reasons or causes, as a parent we just want what is best for our children and sometimes those of us beset by such challenges just want a normal (whatever that is!) life for our kids, even though that may not be possible.

Anyway, I appreciated your musings on both life and books :)

Sue

vikk simmons said...

As I said, you are a gifted writer and what you've shared is compelling and oh-so revealing. I've only read a couple but, trust me, I have to come back to read the rest.

Well done, well said.