Monday, September 3, 2012

Reading Challenge Wrap-Up: Big Book Summer Challenge


Back in June, I went and signed myself up for the Big Book Summer Challenge, hosted by my friend Sue at Book by Book.

I was - how shall I put this? - a little ambitious in my Big Book literary aspirations for the season.

(So entirely unlike me, I know.)

The challenge, which lasted from Memorial Day to Labor Day, was to get us to read books of 400 pages or more (hence, the Big Book part of the name).

I had grand delusions of reading through this stack of books pictured here. Alas, I only made it through two of these: America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines by Gail Collins, as well as And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic, by Randy Shilts. 

However, what's summertime for if not for doing some things that we weren't planning on doing, right? As it turned out, I read a few other books that were over 400 pages that weren't originally included in my stack (or even on my radar) back in June. And, since this is a summertime challenge and since Sue seems like an easygoing kind of gal, I'm thinking I can substitute these books in.  (Links take you to my reviews.)






The Years, by Virginia Woolf (435 pages)

It's 3:28 p.m. on Labor Day afternoon and since I don't foresee myself starting AND finishing a 400+ page book by midnight tonight (I'm ambitious but I'm not crazy), I think its safe to close the books on the Big Book Summer Challenge. Thanks for hosting this one, Sue (and congratulations on your first successful reading challenge)! This was fun.

Same time next summer?

copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Book Dragon said...

I did this one too! I only read one book off my original list but read 8 for the challenge!

here's my wrap-up post

Julie said...

I'm impressed. I didn't sign up for this one because I didn't think I'd even get through one big book. In the end, I did read one big book this summer so I guess I should have signed up!

Sue Jackson said...

I think you did great, Melissa! Four Big Books is quite an accomplishment 9and you're right - I don't care of they aren't the same ones you meant to read! Summertime and the livin' is easy, right?

I have finally posted my own Wrap-Up and you can add your link to the page:

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2012/09/big-book-summer-challenge-wrap-up.html

Thanks for participating - I'm glad you enjoyed it! And, yes, definitely plan on another Big Book Summer next year - my husband got me the second 800-page book in the Outlander series for my birthday!

Sue