Monday, October 29, 2012

Better Days

Strathmere, NJ during Hurricane Sandy - October 29, 2012
This is the street where my aunt and uncle's beach house is,
where we vacation each year. You can see their house in the distance, I think.

"The beach is a haze and old love's a ghost
Hugo is twisting his way up the coast
If you blew out to sea I'd love you most
And we just got here, we just got here
We just arrived ...."



I can't watch the news coverage of Hurricane Sandy. I can't stand it.

I can't stay away from it either.

Here in Pittsburgh, we are not directly in the path of the hurricane. We're feeling more than the residual effects, absolutely. It's raining, and the winds are kicking up, and we just got word that the kids will have no school tomorrow.

But as regular readers know, I'm a Philly girl who vacations on the Jersey coast where Sandy reportedly just made landfall and who most recently lived in Delaware. Practically everyone in my life is there. (Except for The Husband's parents, who are with us for the next 10 days because of The Husband's surgery on Thursday.)

Still, even watching this coverage from more than 400 miles away, I am heartsick at this.

Absolutely heartsick.

How do you people in Florida and along the Gulf Coast do this, time after time?

I think I am beginning to understand the answer to that. I confess, I never quite understood that before today.

You stay because you are rooted in place, in memory and history, right?  Because that place and those memories have become part of you, embedded in your soul?

Because you know, you hope, you need to believe in better days?


Sunset over Strathmere, NJ ~ June 2011
Photo taken by me during our last vacation. 
I get that now.

Oh, I so get that.






















I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

 copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles. If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

Oh, my gosh, that photo of the street is just awful - so sorry for you and your aunt and uncle.

As you know, we are in Delaware, pretty much in the direct path but thankfully should be safe, as we are inland and on high ground (well, as high as the ground gets in DE).

The photos and videos from the beach towns is just heartbreaking though.

Sue

Booksnyc said...

Thinking of your family. The devastation is just terrible. I never thought I would see that kind of natural disaster here in the city. Very thankful to be safe and for the safety of my family and friends.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Yep, you got it. You just pick up the pieces and keep moving forward, sometimes very slowly and sometimes not really sure of where you're going or what your next step is going to be, and sometimes just dang aggravated that another stinkin' storm just ruined your lesson plans you worked on all summer...again. Most people here heed the warnings and don't play around after what happened with Katrina. Hang in there!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I can't watch it on the news either...so sad and so much loss.

I'm sorry about the beach house...and you're right. The memories, the history, the connections all keep us rooted in place.

Cass said...

I've been having a really hard time with the coverage as well. My family in Connecticut was affected for weeks after last year's Hurricane Irene and I have just been so worried for everyone.