Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Honey, I Think We're Raising a Capitalist....




Boo's class is currently reading Andrew Clements' award-winning book Frindle, and since Boo is a somewhat of a reluctant reader, I've been pleased to hear him mention it on occasion. (Truth be told, more than a few of those occasions have been when it has gone missing). Still, by all accounts, the story seems to be resonating with him.

That's no surprise, because as per the publisher's description on Amazon.com, Frindle is about a fifth grader named Nick Allen who "really just likes to liven things up at school ... and [who has] always had plenty of great ideas."

Just like a certain fifth grade boy I happen to know pretty well.
When Nick learns some interesting information about how words are created, suddenly he's got the inspiration for his best plan ever...the frindle. Who says a pen has to be called a pen? Why not call it a frindle? Things begin innocently enough as Nick gets his friends to use the new word. Then other people in town start saying frindle. Soon the school is in an uproar, and Nick has become a local hero. His teacher wants Nick to put an end to all this nonsense, but the funny thing is frindle doesn't belong to Nick anymore. The new word is spreading across the country, and there's nothing Nick can do to stop it.
Oh, yeah, I can absolutely see how this would appeal to Boo, who has made no secret that one of his life's ambitions is "to be famous."

I haven't read Frindle, but someone other than Nick Allen profits from Nick's invention of this newfangled word - and this is perfectly fine with my little Alex P. Keaton.

Hence, then, my boy's homework. (Click to embiggen.)







I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles. If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

Ha! I love your boy's answer :) And the reference to one of my favorite characters of all time: Alex P. Keaton!

Cass said...

How cute! And what a fun premise for a book.

christina said...

I read this to my 8th graders years ago and THEY loved it. I think it's a fun timeless book for all ages. But, I'm biased because I adore Clements.

Encourage him to read No Talking next. So much fun!