Saturday, October 13, 2012

in which i briefly (and gladly) interrupt my political punditry for dewey's 24 hour readathon



Holy crap on toast, people, can't we all just try to get along? It has been a long week, what with surly Internet emoticons flying about Vice Presidential candidates (#TeamBiden) and sports teams (Go Yankees!). My Facebook stream has seen uteruses compared to houses and perfectly respectable people compared to H*tler (and this was all just yesterday afternoon). Methinks it is time to step back, take a breath, and CHILL OUT for a weekend.

That said, what better time for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon, right? THE WHOLE COUNTRY could use a Read-a-thon about now, amiright? (With assigned reading material for some, I might add. Oh, sorry, I'm slipping back into political punditry mode. It happens.)

I'm going to be less of a Read-a-Thon participant this time around because we have friends from Philly arriving mid-afternoon to (as per Betty and Boo) "hang out with Daddy and help his cancer feel better."  Hence, I don't have my usual stack of books lined up (so, no photos to show you) and I probably won't be participating in too many mini-challenges. When I can, I'll be reading and trying to fulfill my cheerleading obligations. (I think I only signed up for 2-3 hours, so that should still be doable.)

As we head into Hour 4, I spent some time on Twitter this morning chatting with various Read-a-Thoners and I set up a spreadsheet to keep myself somewhat on track. I tried turning off my word verification and all that other crap that I use to try to keep the nonsense out of the blog, but I was deluged with spam immediately and I'm sorry, guys, but I don't have the time or patience for that shit, so I had to turn it back on.    If that prevents you from leaving me a comment, I understand. No biggie.

OK. Time to read. I'm kicking this Read-a-thon off with my current read, Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. I'm on page 123.




Let's do this, kids. Happy Read-a-Thon Day!



I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you! copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Ann Kristin said...

Enjoy your book, and have a fun read-a-thon! :)

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

All this stuff lately has gotten pretty crazy! And I full support a readathon for all, with assigned reading for some! ;) (#TeamBiden here too!)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and good luck with the readathon today! :D

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I swear I have contemplated deleting Facebook bc of politics...and not just politics but people making themselves stupid in response to politics. Makes me nauseous :( The only readathon I get to participate in is the one right after Thanksgiving...and I can't wait!!!! Have fun!!