Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Calm Before the Storm


(How many posts will have that subject line today? Damn, if I had a dime ....)

Sidenote for those new to the blog, thanks to my meeting/tweeting you at Podcamp Pittsburgh yesterday, and who may be unfamiliar with The Sunday Salon:
The Sunday Salon is akin to a "university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them, and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....

That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. To join the Sunday Salon, see the Facebook group
Our calm before the storm refers to Hurricane Sandy, of course  as well as The Husband's upcoming surgery scheduled for Thursday. His parents are en route from Philly as I type to stay with us for the next 10 days. They were planning to arrive on Wednesday, but because of the storm, they're coming early.

As in, any minute now.

Thanks to the weather, I'm also fighting a sinus infection. Still, I need to get started on The Round House by Louise Erdrich today because I'm on the TLC Book Tour this week. (My review is scheduled for Tuesday.) Fortunately, others are saying great things about this one and I'm a fan of Louise Erdrich's work so I'm not daunted about needing to finish this one quickly.

Otherwise in my reading world, not much has changed from last week. I'm still reading Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans by David Niose, which I told you about in last Sunday's Salon and which I'm still finding to be interesting.

Finally, I've given up on The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan as an audiobook. I really enjoyed the first portion, but am having a hard time following along with Part II on audio. I think it's because I had longer chunks of time to listen during Part I and that's not the case for Part II, which doesn't lend itself well to quick trips to the grocery store and pick ups from school. Hence, I'm going to the print version to finish this one.

Because of The Husband's surgery on Thursday, I think I'm going to try and find some lighter reads to occupy myself while at the hospital.

How about you? Are you in the path of Hurricane Sandy? If so, what books do you have on hand to ride out the storm? (And if you are in the storm, be safe!)



I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles. If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

No comments: