Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Read-a-Thon Wrap Up


I've written about them before, but we're incredibly lucky to have the group of friends that we do. The amazing thing is, I wouldn't know these people at all if I didn't know The Husband. They're originally his friends from grade school; the first day of kindergarten in 1975, in one case.

Yesterday two of The Friends drove nearly six hours from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh for one night just to hang out with us, eat some hoagies, watch the Yankees-Tigers game (oh, Derek ...), and just provide some distraction (and some laughs) from our life these days.

We are - as always - grateful beyond words.


That meant that my participation in the Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon was more limited than usual, but that's okay. While waiting for The Friends to arrive, I managed to read a total of 60 pages in my current book, Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.

I also spent some time cheerleading for other Read-a-Thoners via Twitter. Although I wasn't much of a participant in this Read-a-Thon, (and I don't even think I got to everyone I was supposed to), I hung out on the Twitter more this time than ever before - and I liked it. However, I don't know how much I would have Tweeted if I had been more of a reader, though.

While we were watching the Yankees game, I did explain my frequent attachment to my phone as being part of a 24 Hour Read-a-Thon - and the good-natured consensus was that this was the epitome of geekiness.

(I can take it. I've been called much worse things than a book geek. I'll wear that moniker proudly.)



I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

claire said...

Any bit of participation in the readathon counts! It was great you were able to sneak in a few pages, despite your guests. I think I missed out on a lot because I don't have Twitter! :)