Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Week in Review




Outside my window: It's a cloudy day with a chill in the air. After a string of gorgeous, summer-like days this week, fall has definitely arrived here in Pittsburgh.

I am watching: The Eagles vs. Steelers game on the TV. (I'm rooting for the Steegles. This is my favorite Sunday in the NFL regular season, but my loyalties are divided. I love my new city and I love the Steelers, but I'm a Philly girl at heart - always will be - and can't give up my Iggles.)

I am reading: THIS!  And it's magnificent. All the lovely reviews about this one are exactly right. You know how much I adored Jess Walter's  The Financial Lives of the Poets, and Beautiful Ruins is living up to my expectations. If you love the movies, if you love a good love story, if you like a little escapism, this is a great story. (At least at the page 73 mark.)



This week, I finished reading: THIS. I wrote a little bit last week about my initial personal ambivalence toward Tell the Wolves I'm Home, and I'm happy to say those thoughts were dispelled by the end of the novel. I really enjoyed this, so very much. Yes, there are some similarities with my own novel. I expected that. But there are also differences and in the end, I'm really glad I read this - and that Carol Rifka Brunt wrote it. As I said to one of my writing group friends, I think it is okay that similar stories exist. What reaches and touches one person may be different for another.



On the Blog: This week I highlighted some of my past reviews of banned books. I also wrote about a memorable encounter in the doctor's waiting room.

Around the Book Blogosphere: People are gearing up for the 24-Hour Readathon this weekend.

I am thinking: That I won't be able to participate in said Readathon as much as I had anticipated. I'm okay with that, though, because we're having some surprise (and very welcome) visitors over on Saturday afternoon and evening. A few friends are making a visit to the 'Burgh! I'm so excited about this.

I am grateful for: A hell of a lot. Most especially, that The Husband's cancer has a good prognosis and that it is not further advanced.

Around the house: I'm decluttering.

In the kitchen: I have Pasta e Fagioli soup simmering in the crockpot. That's dinner, along with vegetarian meatball sandwiches.

High of the Week: A package in the mail from The Husband's sister, an interview this coming week, supportive emails from the kids' teachers, and some welcome news on the financial front from the IRS. (Yeah ... that IRS!)

Low of the Week: The anticipation of telling the kids that The Husband has thyroid cancer. (They took the  news really well. Kids are so resilient.)

Family Matters: In a lot of ways, life goes on as per usual for now - at least until The Husband's surgery on November 1 - but our world is pretty rocked by the cancer news these days. If that makes sense.

The coming week: Looking forward to writer's group on Tuesday evening and the visit from the friends next  weekend.

Words of Wisdom: "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~ Randy Pausch


     I am an Amazon.com affiliate. Making a purchase through any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo.

copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I loved The Beautiful Ruins too, even more than Financial Lives of Poets, it's my number one recommendation.
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, I hope that all goes well and that you gain strength and love from all who care about you.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Love the John Lennon quote...I say that all the time but had forgotten where it came from. You're in my thoughts and prayers daily!!

Booksnyc said...

I am sorry that I am only seeing this now but wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts as you deal with your husband's upcoming surgery. I had a total thyroidectomy a few years ago and it was very successful with a relatively easy recovery. I wish the same for your husband.