Friday, November 30, 2012

Discovering Pittsburgh: I Made It! for the Holidays is Tonight and Tomorrow!


One of my favorite Pittsburgh events is this weekend! It's the 6th Annual I Made It! Holiday Marketplace,  featuring more than 90 local artisans.

My 11 year old daughter Betty and I discovered this Pittsburgh event last year for the first time and we both loved it. (The photo above is a t-shirt I bought from garbella.) We made a day out of it - very easy to do - and I'm kinda hoping that we make this a mother-daughter tradition. It is a fabulous opportunity to support local crafters and get some one-of-a-kind gifts. Like many people's finances, our Christmas budget is a tight one this year. If I'm going to spend what little money I have, then I prefer to spend it with local entrepreneurs.

I Made It! for the Holidays starts tonight from 5-10 p.m. at Bakery Square, which is always a cool place to check out. (It makes me nostalgic for my Philly roots, as it is a former Nabisco plant!). I Made It! for the Holidays continues tomorrow from 11-6 p.m., so you have your pick of times to shop.

In addition to the 90+ artisans, here are just a few more things that Carrie and her team have planned. (I don't know how that girl does it, quite honestly. I'm in awe. I've met her. I don't think she sleeps.)

  • TAPPED is bringing a holiday version of their pop up beer gardens to a great day of crafts and fun. As always they will have Full Pint beer and Bar Marco will be bringing a warm festive cocktail with delicious food and treats from Tapped friends to add to the mix! http://www.facebook.com/events/12959897052434
  • Free gift wrapping provided by YELP!
  • Parking in the Bakery Square garage is FREE (always a plus in Pittsburgh!) and I Made It! Co-Founder and Organizer Carrie Nardini has all kinds of fabulous activities planned in collaboration with these community organizations:
Animal Rescue League : Kitties were adopted last year. ARL will be on hand Saturday with lovable furry friends looking for forever homes.
(Note to Betty: as adorable as they are, we ARE NOT coming home with a new kitten.)
Assemble : Learn more about our Event Partner Assemble in this post about their work and first year introducing kids and adults to the intersection of art & technology.
Calliope: Pittsburgh Folk Music Society : Teachers will be on site sharing their love of music with fans big and small.
Little House Big Art : Support LHBA through a fun art project! This space creates big artistic results for the aspiring artist/crafter of any age.
Pittsburgh Center for the Arts: is a Pittsburgh institution in crafting. Learn about how to grow your own crafty skill set at PCA.
Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse: Learn more about this organization that supplies some of our artists with lovely finds to repurpose into wearable works of art or decorative items for your home.
Pittsburgh Tote Bag Project: Bring all of your lightly used tote bags to benefit those in need. The PTBP will be accepting tote bags and food items that will be matched through a challenge! Learn more on their website!
For more information, visit I Made It Market here. You can Meet the Artists participating in I Made It! for the Holidays here: http://imadeitmarket.com/i-made-it-for-the-holidays-2012-2/
Discovering Pittsburgh is an occasional feature on The Betty and Boo Chronicles where I write about the new adventures and places we are discovering in our new city.


I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Lisa Gradess Weinstein said...

Makes me wish I lived in the Burgh. Have fun!