Friday, November 23, 2012

My Black Friday: Thankfully Reading


Right from the get-go, let me say this: I certainly appreciate saving a buck or two as much as the next person, but I also consider the madness of Black Friday (and now, Black Thursday and every other incarnation) to be Hell on Earth. I don't partake, and I have no plans to do so now.

In fact, I need to go out to the supermarket (the one that felt the need to OPEN AT 3 AM today - WHY, WHY, WHY, I ask????) for the likes of milk and eggs. I am dreading even venturing outside the door.

I'd much rather be spending as much of this day Thankfully Reading. Now that dinner has been cooked and eaten (and leftovers wrapped up), birthday presents have been opened (the real-life Betty and Boo were 11 yesterday), and football has been watched (Jets fans, as an Eagles fan, you have my utmost sympathy on that game), it's time to kick off this thing.

I look forward to this event every year. Looking back on my blog posts, I think this is the 4th Thankfully Reading Weekend and the 4th time I've participated. I'm definitely NOT a Black Friday (or Thursday or Saturday or Sunday) shopper and I can't think of anything better I'd rather be doing.

I always try to use this as a chance to finish up any remaining Reading Challenges for the year - or, at least one Challenge that I'm thisclose to completing. While some Challenges are futile at this point, the A-Z Challenge hosted by Babies, Books, and Beyond remains within my reach so that's the one I'm focusing on.  I need to read books beginning with titles starting with C, E, K, P, Q, V, and X. (I've pretty much eliminated X, as it has proven to be my nemesis) and the books I set aside for Thankfully Reading Weekend reflect that:


Thanksgiving, by Michael Dibdin
This looks reeeealllly dark. Never heard of this until I was browsing at the library and saw it on the shelves.)

Because You Have To: A Writing Life, by Joan Frank
I'm only on page 58, loving it, and am way overdue with my promised review. If I finish just one book, I hope this one is it.)

Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith, by Anne Lamott
I'm on an Anne Lamott binge right now. So, so bummed that I didn't get to see her this week in Akron, OH. I was planning to go to her appearance - it's only 1.5 hours each way and for her, I'd gladly have done that. For the A-Z Challenge (letter P)

The Council of Dads: My Daughters, My Illness, and the Men Who Could Be Me, by Bruce Feiler
I'm thinking this might hit a little close to home, but it looks really good. For the A-Z Challenge (letter C).

The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje
I can't believe I've never read this. For the A-Z Challenge (letter E).

The Value of Rain, by Brandon Shire
I've been wanting to read this since last Christmas, when I got this as a present. For the A-Z Challenge (letter V)

I have no expectations that I will finish all of these - far from it. The kids are off from school until Tuesday, The Husband is still recuperating, and I woke up with what seems to be a bad headache in the making (thanks to perhaps too much chocolate yesterday and some weather-related pressure changes in the works for us). The good thing is that Thankfully Reading Weekend is from November 22-25, so there is plenty of time to stuff ourselves with some good reads.

How about you ... are you shopping or Thankfully Reading today?


I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

text copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles. If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

ShaReKay said...

I did a HUGE grocery shop last weekend so that I could stay away from all things retail *this* weekend. I have been a thankful couch potato :)

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I need eggs as well...but I'd rather do without than venture out right now. "Hell on Earth" is a perfect description of the Black Friday phenomenon...I will have nothing to do with it. I'm Thankfully Reading as well this weekend. I have 3 on my list of reads but have already finished 1 I didn't plan to read ;) No worries :)