Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Winding Down the Reading Year



It has happened, folks. Usually does around this time of year.

I knew it was coming.

The first announcement for a 2013 Reading Challenge has made its appearance in my Google Reader.

(I'll end the speculation now: I will, indeed, be bringing the Memorable Memoirs Reading Challenge back again for a 4th year. Official announcement to follow at some point. But it will be happening. Perhaps, even, with its own designated blog.)

Traditionally, my reading slows down considerably in these months and this year is no exception. So far in November, I've read a total of ONE BOOK. One!  (That would be The Round House by Louise Erdrich which I'll be reviewing tomorrow.) With it comes the realization that, even though there's more than a month to go in 2012, the reading year has (at least in my mind) pretty much come to an end.

I'm making my peace with the challenges I'm going to leave uncompleted (some for a consecutive year in a row - why do I bother?) and some that I'm still going to push through to accomplish because I'm thisclose to finishing them.

Thankfully, we have Thankfully Reading Weekend coming up from November 22-25 for those of us who prefer to avoid the crowds and shopping on Black Friday. The festivities are being hosted by Jenn from Jenn's Bookshelves and Jennifer from Literate Housewife. Jenn has all of the details on her blog. 

Thankfully Reading (which is one of my favorite events of the year) is usually my last hoorah to finish up challenges and the like for the year, so I am very much looking forward to this. 

In other news, I'm in the middle of reading Because You Have To: A Writing Life, by Joan Frank. This collection of essays has been described as part memoir and part writing how-to. To me, it doesn't matter what genre this fits into; I am absolutely loving this book. I know "how to write" books are a dime a dozen, but this one is different. It has a feel of sitting down over a cup of coffee with a friend who understands this writing life and can commiserate with you about it while gently giving advice and understanding. 

(I was supposed to review this one last week, but I sent Joan Frank a note via Facebook explaining that life had gotten a little chaotic lately due to The Husband being sick. She was incredibly understanding and gracious.)

Does your reading slow down at the end of the year? And will you be Thankfully Reading this weekend with us? 




     I am an Amazon.com affiliate. Making a purchase through any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo.


copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles. If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Dani S said...

I had never heard of the Thankfully Reading Weekend, but since we no longer do the big Black Friday shopping I may give it a go.

My family doesn't do the rounds of parties and activities during this time of year, so I can't use the winter holidays as an excuse for a reading slow-down. I have so many ebbs and flows in my reading throughout the year that this time of year isn't much different. I feel that I read a little more during the holidays, if only to avoid the marathons of Christmas movies on TV!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I'm reading Because You Have To right now as well...and loving it. You hit the nail right on the head when you described it as a cup of coffee with an old writing friend who really gets it :)
The Thankfully Reading Weekend is the only ReadAThon I'm able to participate in all year long...so to say that I'm excited about it would be an understatement :)
I try to let myself off the hook with the challenges I don't complete...try.

Booksnyc said...

I use this weekend as my last ditch effort to finish the challenges too . . . but there will still be a few unfinished. I think there is value in trying - it directs my reading even if I don't finish the challenge.

Glad to hear Memorable Memoirs is coming back in 2013!