Friday, November 16, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Yes, Virginia, You Can Cook a Tofurky in a Crockpot




Seems that recently there have been quite a few hits here on the blog from folks who are, apparently, seeking some guidance on cooking that vegetarian (and vegan) Thanksgiving staple: the Tofurky

That's completely understandable. If this is your first Thanksgiving as a vegetarian or a vegan, or if you're expecting a vegetarian or vegan for dinner, I can see where this could cause some angst. 

It doesn't need to. 

In the spirit of giving, allow me to try and be of some assistance by reprising part of a post I did last Thanksgiving. 

I've never had much of an issue with not eating meat on Thanksgiving. I'm not the Spokesperson for All Vegetarians, but its been my theory that other people experience more agita and stress over what the hell to feed us so-called strange birds than we do. Truthfully, I've always been much more into the side dishes, even as a child. (Really. My Pop-Pop's mashed potatoes were so damn good that I even mentioned them in his eulogy.) 

The Husband and I have been vegetarians for something like 16 or so Thanksgiving dinners now. Over the last few years, we've discovered the delicacy of the Tofurky, which makes The Husband very happy and nostalgic. 

Last year, I discovered that the Tofurky can be cooked IN THE CROCKPOT - which, since I am All About the Crockpot, made ME very happy. 

It's really a very simple process. And it WORKS. I didn't have the packet of "dry vegetarian onion soup mix"and I didn't want to make an emergency run to the grocery store. I decided that I would take my chances by whipping up something (anything!) as a substitute. 

I found this Substitute for 1 Envelope Onion Soup Mix recipe on Food.comand even then I had to improvise further because I only had the beef boullion granules, the onion powder, and the pepper. No matter. Toss in some frozen onions to stand in for the onion flakes and nobody is the wiser.  

Then, I put the Tofurky in the CrockPot (I used a 3 quart), basted it a little every half hour or so as per the recipe, and 3 hours on high later there was Thanksgiving dinner.


Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know it's not the most aesthetically-pleasing photo. BUT SO WHAT? This isn't Martha Stewart's blog. What this is is EASY. Simple. And so much better for you, the animals, and the planet than the traditional turkey. 

And in the end, I'll bet this is pretty close to what your Thanksgiving plate usually looks like, no? 

StoveTop cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes with butter, biscuits, corn,
cranberry sauce, and Tofurky cooked in the CrockPot. 
Hope everyone who is celebrating has a wonderful Thanksgiving!  

(And just so we're all kosher with the folks at the FTC, Tofurky et al did NOT compensate me for any part of this post.  But, y'know, if they want to toss some cash my way in the spirit of gratitude, I'm not above saying no.) 

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.


I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

photos and text copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles. If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.


6 comments:

Linda said...

I've never tried tofurky but I love the idea of cooking it the crockpot.

Carole said...

Never ever heard of a tofurkey! Have a great week.

Beth F said...

I need to direct my niece to this post. She finds very little that's vegetarian on Thanksgiving.

Joanna said...

Great that you wrote this 'in the spirit of giving'. LOL. Happy Thanksgiving!

Joy Weese Moll said...

We have a couple of vegetarians at the big family gathering but they've always been happy with the side dishes. They might be interested in tofurkey if it's this easy, though.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I've never had Tofurky, but i have to say that in your photo, it does look like turkey.