Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Randomness N'at



I can't seem to write a coherent Sunday Salon post, so we'll just go with a bunch of random thoughts n'at ....

The Weather
This has been the sort of day where you're so sluggish you feel like you just can't wake up. (Good thing it's almost bedtime.) Part of that is because it has been raining for THREE DAYS STRAIGHT. I suppose it could be worse. Could be snow, like many of you are getting.

Health (Mine)
Several of my teeth are bothering me. I have a toothache in one of my front teeth (I'm going to a new dentist tomorrow; he comes highly recommended by a coworker of The Husband's who has more dental woes than I do, as if that's even possible). I'm pretty certain this tooth needs to be crowned or redone with an implant. I have quite a few crowns, but for whatever reason, a crown in one of my front teeth kind of scares me. You could say that all I want for Christmas is to keep my own teeth.  (Ba-DUM-bump! I'll be here all week, folks!) I'm hoping this appointment goes okay and - more importantly - that I like this new dentist.

Christmas
We put up our Christmas tree yesterday. Here's one of my favorite ornaments from when I was a little kid. I call this The Reading Elf.


Reading Challenges
Speaking of being a reading elf, it's crunch time for those of us who are finishing up our reading challenges. I've completed 5 6 of the 17 challenges I committed to back in the beginning of the year. That's not a good percentage. I think I still have a chance with 4 3 (maybe 5 4) additional challenges, but it looks like I will not make it with the Chunkster, Mt. TBR, Non-Fiction Non Memoir, Self-Published, Southern Literature, Time Travel, and Truth in Fiction challenges. Oh well.

What I'm Reading This Week...
I told myself that I really wanted to read something by Michael Ondaatje this year, and here in the waning days of 2012, I finally am. The question was, which one of his books to start with? I posed that question to two friends - both passionate Ondaatje fans - and the thought seemed to be The English Patient. I've never even seen the movie, so I'm coming at this knowing nothing about the story.

So far, it's ...just okay?  I know. This is one of those books that I feel I should be more in love with than I am. I'm not as drawn into this as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong: Ondaatje can certainly write, and this won't be the last of his books I read. But, I guess I expected to like this more than I do. The problem is probably me with this one.

...and Listening To
It must be my week to read and listen to Books That Everyone Else Read At Least a Decade Ago because this week I also finally got around to listening to Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. I've had this on my bookshelves forever, and then I needed one more audiobook for the Audiobook challenge and saw this was only 4 CDs at the library. This was more enjoyable than I thought. Schmaltzy, yes ... but you know, sometimes you need a little schmaltz.

Now I'm listening to The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman, which is depressing as hell. Not sure I'm going to finish this one.

What I AM going to do is finish is this post ... and then go to bed.

(And try not to dream about my teeth.)


I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you! copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Jinjer said...

I love the reading elf ornament! And I think completing 5 challenges is amazing since I'm only doing 2 and haven't made a dent. LOL

Elizabeth said...

Oh, blasphemy!

Just teasing.

"The English Patient" is one of my all-time favorite books. I know that some people, though, just don't dig him, and that's all right because those of us who do have no boundaries for our love for Ondaatje.