Saturday, January 26, 2013

fried

Taken by me, December 2011 (I think)

My laptop, it seems, may be fried.

Literally.

As in, it was losing power on Friday night even while plugged in.

That's usually a sign that the power cord needs to be replaced. (Been there, done that a few times before.)

Alas, this time, I may have waited too long to do so and instead, heard a sizzling sound followed by smoke coming out of the side of the laptop.

Yeah. Good times.

Since I live on my laptop 24/7 (again, literally), this isn't good.

I'm just grateful that we were home while this happened. I can't tell you how many times I leave my laptop on while going to pick up the kids from school or going to the grocery store or whatever.

I'm afraid to even turn it back on this morning, which I haven't done. I'm worried about the photos and the writings that are stuck in there.  I have a lot backed up on an external hard drive, thankfully, but not everything. So, while I'm out laptop shopping today (it's probably time to be replaced; it's 5 years old), allow this to be a cautionary tale among many to regularly backup one's life.

In the meantime, forgive me if posting is a little sporadic here. I'm sharing this particular laptop with the kids - and it goes with The Husband to work, where he is (thankfully) back at full time now.


I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you! copyright 2012, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's times like this that I appreciate NOT owning a laptop! I'm an old fuddy-duddy with a desktop PC! I do long for an Mac, though --

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I know it's not really funny...one of our administrators at work (a least favorite, I might add)was giving his usual fluffy, snooty, yak yak yak to us at the beginning of a semester with his trusty snooty admin asst. behind the scenes running the technology. His laptop, a brand he has touted as the best and that everybody should have (nevermind that it's the most expensive model out there) caught on fire in the middle of his powerpoint. I revisit this memory every time I feel myself getting too angry at this guy that I still have to listen to way too much. :p But, the bright side is that you get a new laptop!! Yay!!

Book Dragon said...

I truly hope that not as much missed the backup as you think.