Thursday, February 14, 2013

Romance + Reading = Pittsburgh!



Just in time for Valentine's Day comes news that Pittsburgh has been named one of the Top 10 Most Romantic Cities in the United States, according to Amazon.com.

You read that right. Pittsburgh! 

And speaking of reading, turns out that Steelers Nation is also quite bookish. We are #4 on the Most Literate Cities list.

I knew of both of these esteemed rankings (books and romance being two of my interests, naturally) but didn't put them together until the fine folks at Shelf Awareness did so in this issue. Pittsburgh is the only city to make it into the Top 10 of both lists.

For us 'Burghers, I think that calls for a celebratory trip to your local independent bookstore or library with your favorite date. Fortunately we are so, so lucky and downright spoiled here because we have more than a few to choose from. On this list, I've only been to two of them (Copacetic Comics and Red Barn Books).

Awesome Books

The Big Idea Cooperative Bookstore and Cafe

Caliban Book Shop

The Copacetic Comics Company

East End Book Exchange

Eljay's Used Books

Mystery Lovers Bookshop

Penguin Bookshop

... and about an hour's drive east, there's Red Barn Books in Greensburg, which is definitely well worth the trip. I was there on Sunday with my boy (the 11 year old) and wound up buying way too many books while he was taking a video animation class in the next room.

Since my idea of the perfect date is a nice restaurant dinner followed by a visit to a bookstore (or, better yet, a nice meal at home followed by reading a good book), it looks like The Husband and I  are right in our element here in Pittsburgh.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!


photo taken by me of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, September 2012



I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

photo and text copyright 2013, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Susan Balee said...

Great post. I'm heading to the Carnegie today and am also reading a great book: "Best American Short Stories 2012." They are my chocolates on Valentine's!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Congrats! Who knew? lol

There are some surprising cities on that list, I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing.