Friday, March 15, 2013

in which i will be reading my words in process, in ligonier, in june



So, I've been sitting on some exciting news for the last couple days.

It has been like that lately with us book bloggers, hasn't it? Seems like a bunch of us have new projects and all sorts of new wonderfulness to announce. It has been head-spinning, in a good way.

I have been turning my attention more to this writing life of mine, trying to see what possibilities might be out there professionally and personally.  For reasons that I have been struggling to understand, the profession I know and the work that I've been doing for 22 years is not working here for me, in this new place. As I said to The Husband the other night, I really thought more things would have fallen into place by now, nearly two years into this.

But some new things are happening.

One of them has led to my being invited to read my work during this upcoming season of Words in Process.

(I know. Me. A reading. I would have been less surprised if the Vatican had called to say I'd been named the next pope.)

Words in Process is a group of local (western Pennsylvania) poets, writers, and literary enthusiasts who present their work and their thoughts on writing at a monthly Reading Series in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. Afterwords, an open mic is held for audience members to share their work. It's all coordinated by the wonderful Amy Yanity, who I only know from Facebook and only through another writer friend.

My reading is scheduled for June 18 at 7 p.m. at Allegory Gallery in Ligonier, Pa. I've also been asked to speak about blogging and this book blogging world of ours. The talk is open to the public and free of charge. And no, I have no idea what I'll be reading ... although there's a good bet there will be some of the novel in progress and maybe a blog post or two. We'll see.

To say that I am thrilled and honored and incredibly excited about this is an understatement. If you're nearby and able to make it, I'd love to have you in the audience.

Photo is of one of my very first stories, written when I was about 6 or 7. Photo taken in December 2012. 



I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2013, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I'm so excited for you! What a great step, I wish you the best of luck and can;t wait to hear how it all went.

Lisa Gradess Weinstein said...

Wow, Mazel Tov!!

Ali said...

Very exciting! It sounds like you're at a crossroads and I hope the response you get at this event helps clarify things for you.

Also, I loved the glimpse of the story you wrote when you were little.