Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Sunday Salon: In Which the Shortest Month = The Most Books Read


March is coming in blustery and busier than usual this weekend, which is why I'm getting this Salon posted much later than usual. I took Boo to Pamela's Diner in the Strip District yesterday because I told him that President Obama said their pancakes were among the best he'd ever had. Boo is a big fan of President Obama's and when he heard he had once eaten there, he was relentless about going. So, yesterday turned out to be a good opportunity to go - and so we went. The pancakes were indeed amazing (and will be the subject of a future Weekend Cooking post).

Today was also busy, with church this morning and then a drive out to a Barnes and Noble out by the airport to pick up replacement chargers for the kids' Nooks. I'm rather frustrated about this, to be honest. They just got their Nooks for Christmas and they've already broken the damn chargers. Apparently, this may not be completely their fault as there are 83 negative reviews on Barnes and Noble's website about the same issue we're experiencing. And, to make matters worse, nobody had the freakin' chargers in stock and it was saying to anticipate a 3-5 week delivery time for them.

And we're wondering why Barnes and Noble is struggling?

I found two in stock (I would have been fine with one) at this store 40 minutes away, so off we went this afternoon to pick them up. I made sure to tell the guy that they were the only store in all of western Pennsylvania that had them and how grateful I was.

Anyway, so that's the reason I'm getting this Salon in under the wire for Sunday.

Somehow, I wound up reading a ridiculous number of books in the shortest month of the year. Granted, a few of those books were under 100 pages each and I breezed through them in a day. But still, reading nine books in 28 days is rather unusual for me. And that's not even counting the partial novel I read and edited for a new client (more on that in another post, too).

Our crappy weather helps. Gray days and constant snow is rather conducive for hibernating and reading in one's cave by the light of a therapy lamp. (I need to get myself one of those things.) From the looks of things, that damn groundhog is getting a bit long in the tooth as far as predictions are concerned. He needs to leave the forecasting to the professionals because there are no signs of an early spring anywhere 'round here.

Here's what I read in February, with links to my reviews:






Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys 


Elegy, Poems by Mary Jo Bang


In Between Days, by Andrew Porter




Pittsburgh Memoranda, by Haniel Long 


The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember
by Fred Rogers


 Why We Write: 20 Acclaimed Authors on How and Why They Do What They Do
edited by Meredith Maran 

March is coming in like a lion on the reading front, too. I'm scheduled for a few book tours (The Orchardist, Bloom) with TLC Book Tours and I decided to participate in the read-along of Little Women that Florinda and Fizzy Thoughts are hosting. (Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever actually finished Little Women. I know, right?! I've started it several times, but I never completed it. And since it's on both my Kindle and my bookshelves, it counts for the TBR Challenge.) 

 I'm currently reading Craig Brown's Hello Goodbye Hello: A Circle of 101 Remarkable Meetings. I'm fascinated by this idea of coincidence and that we meet the people we're supposed to meet for a reason. This book kind of takes that idea a step future and, in short essays that are only about 3-4 pages long in most cases, discusses meetings between notable historical figures and/or Hollywood celebrities. In some cases, the meetings had the potential to change history or individual lives. It's very much of a six degrees of separation kind of read (if that is appealing to you, you'd love this) and it's kind of fun. If you look at some of the titles I've been immersed in during February, there aren't too many light-hearted reads in that mix.

So far, I've read about Adolf Hitler meeting John Scott Ellis (talk about how history was almost changed; Ellis ran over Hitler with his car); John Scott Ellis meeting Rudyard Kipling; Rudyard Kipling meeting Mark Twain (but not before falling in love with his future wife in Beaver, Pa - who knew this?!); Mark Twain meeting Helen Keller (so far my absolute favorite story in the book); Helen Keller meeting Martha Graham; Martha Graham meeting Madonna; Madonna going out on a date with Michael Jackson; Michael Jackson hiding in a White House restroom when meeting Nancy Reagan; Nancy Reagan dissing Andy Warhol; Andy Warhol snubbing Jackie Kennedy; and Jackie Kennedy feeling uncomfortable around Queen Elizabeth II.

Hope you had a great weekend and that your March is off to a great start!


I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2013, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.


6 comments:

Melissa Owens said...

It's funny how that works -- even though it was a short month, February was also a strong month for me... I read five more books in Feb. than I did in Jan! Looks like you've got another great month ahead. Thanks so much for stopping by my Sunday Salong post, too! :-)

Book Dilettante said...

Would love to get my hand on Why We Write! Nice set of books for reading!

Susan Balee said...

You are an inspiration to me! Time to get reading... and WRITING.

Melissa Sarno said...

I read a lot of books this month too! Must have been the weather. I'll look forward to your thoughts on The Orchardist -- I really enjoyed it : )

Sue said...

I'm inspired - I'm going to re-read Little Women. :-)

Lisa said...

I havent had our nook chargers break, but it kills me that they aren't interchangeable between the simple touch and the color.