Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Sunday Salon: Friendships. in Books and in Real-Life


We are incredibly lucky to have some of the best friends imaginable. Two out of three of them just drove 350 miles today so they could spend the day hangin' with The Husband at the Pittsburgh Pirates game this afternoon. They're the type of guys - friends since elementary school, all of them - who think nothing of doing  crazy things like this, and they've done this twice now, since The Cancer struck last fall.

Friends like these are the kind who get us through some of the most difficult times of our lives. Kelle Hampton knows this, too, and it's her memoir Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected that I'll be trying to finish up today while the boys are at the game.

When her daughter Nella was born with Down syndrome, it was Kelle's close-knit network of friends and family that got her through the emotional rollercoaster of the first few days which she chronicles through words and gorgeous photographs in Bloom. I'm on the TLC Book Tour for this one on Wednesday, so be sure to check back then for my full review.

After Bloom, I have two books on deck for my freelance reviewing gig with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. (Not sure if I'm at liberty to mention what they are just yet, but one is a contemporary novel that I've seen mention on several blogs and the other is a memoir that is quite new to me and looks rather intriguing.)

I also owe a poetry post about Pittsburgh Memoranda by Haniel Long. I was supposed to be part of Savvy Verse and Wit's National Poetry Month Blog Tour, but I waited too long to write my post and was sidelined by a migraine yesterday. (For those who expressed concern, it's a little better today, thanks to a batch of Vegetarian Chicken Noodle Soup I made last night. This soup was AMAZING. I made it vegan by using no-egg noodles and it held up really well for lunch today, too.)

I'm also still making my way through Little Women on my Kindle for March's read-along (it might be next March by the time I finish this) and in the car, Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor and I are still Traveling with Pomegranates. 

Hope your travels - either in book form or real - are good ones this Sunday, with a good friend or two by your side.


I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2013, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Bryan G. said...

I was wondering what happened to you with the poetry blog tour. I'm sorry to hear about your migraines and hope you get better soon. I really wanted to read your post. :)

Serena said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. I've had allergy-related headaches this past week and know how debilitating they can be. Let me know when you get to the poetry post, and I'll be sure to link to it.