Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Book Review: Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, A Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson, by Mitch Albom

Tuesdays with Morrie
by Mitch Albom 
Doubleday
1997

Random House Audio
2007
3 hours, 41 minutes

Yeah, I know.

Everyone in the world knows what Tuesdays with Morrie is about, so this hardly needs an introduction - much less a review.

A guy's favorite teacher is dying; guy decides to spend every Tuesday with favorite teacher; guy learns about himself and life in the process. Guy writes book about the experience and the rest becomes bestselling history.

Schmaltzy? Sure. But you know what?

Sometimes we need a little schmaltz.

Sometimes we need to be reminded of life's truths and lessons.

Such was the case when I picked this audio book up at the library. I've had this on my bookshelves forever - I think I bought it at a book sale or maybe I inherited it from my grandparents' belongings after one of them died. At the time I listened to this, The Husband was going through his cancer treatments and I wanted a short audio that would both preoccupy and inspire me in the car.

It certainly did that - and I have to say, this was a lot better than I expected. Mitch Albom narrates this audio and the version I listened to was a 10th anniversary edition with a prologue of Mitch's reflections on the memoir's overwhelming success and how his life changed as a result. He also addresses criticisms that he  "cashed in" on Morrie's illness and points out that proceeds from the book greatly helped Morrie and his family with the medical bills brought on by his fight with ALS.

I thought Mitch's narration of this was wonderful. Truthfully, I don't think anyone else could have narrated it because it is such a meaningful and personal story to him. It felt like he was having a conversation. The production quality was also very good, with no distracting music.

Maybe this resonated with me moreso because of the circumstances going on while I was listening to Morrie's words of wisdom. During a difficult time, Tuesdays with Morrie was a nice reminder to appreciate the lessons that life, no matter what trials it gives us, has to offer.


I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you! 


copyright 2013, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

No comments: