Thursday, May 2, 2013

Not Just Any Cover Reveal (this one has a blurb by me!)




When I was a kid, I always wondered about those people who were quoted on the backs of book covers.

Never mind the authors themselves. In my view, they were, like, gods. Or goddesses.

But as awesome as I always thought it would be to be an actual author (I'm still working on that), I thought it would be just as cool to be one of those important people who somehow got their thoughts blurbed endorsing a book.  I always wondered how that happened.

Now I know.

Here's the funny thing, though.

Regular readers of the blog know that, while I often read young adult novels, I very, very rarely read paranormal romance young adult novels. That just isn't my thing (and this isn't an open invitation for every paranormal romance YA author to send me your book to review, because most likely I will say no.)

But Melissa Luznicky Garrett is a friend and has been one for a number of years. Some time ago, I did some writing for Melissa when she edited an online parenting magazine. We kept in touch after she closed the publication and these days we mostly hang out on Facebook talking about writing, our kids, and griping about the crappy winter weather in our respective corners of the world.

So, yeah. We're friends.

I've followed her writing career through her first novel Precipice (which I reviewed here) and her three books (Turning Point, The Spirit Keeper, and Blood Type) thereafter.

I thought Melissa's talent really took off with The Spirit Keeper, which is the story about Sarah Redbird, a Native American teenager whose mother and grandmother died in a house fire when she was 11. The truth behind the fire, however, involves a family secret, an ancient legend, and a curse - not to mention Adrian, the cute new guy at school.

It's a fast-paced, entertaining read. Near the end of The Spirit Keeper, Sarah reflects that "[t]he uncertainty of my future was written in the margins of my life." (pg. 276). I love that line, and it sets up perfectly the conflict that readers are in store for in The Spirit Keeper's sequel, The Prophecy, which is due out at the end of this month.

As you know, the traditional job hunt hasn't gone so well for me, so I've been trying to make my own professional path as a writer and editor. I approached Melissa about doing some editorial work on The Prophecy and she happily agreed.

Today, the cover of The Prophecy has been revealed.


I loved being part of The Prophecy and I loved the editing experience. I'm proud to have been a part of making this book happen. And I am so incredibly proud of my friend Melissa for all her hard work and her dedication to her craft that has gotten her this far. What people don't know about her is that she is often working on three or four books at once, while caring for three children, and managing a busy household, and promoting her other books. She is definitely a writer worth watching.

Please. Take my blurb for it.

"Just as 17 year old Sarah Redbird finds her inner strength to break an ancient curse, THE PROPHECY proves that author Melissa Luznicky Garrett continues as one of the strongest writers of paranormal romantic young adult fiction. With her innovative plots, dramatic scenes, and memorable characters, Garrett makes her readers of all ages fall even more in love with Adrian and Sarah. The result is a highly entertaining read with echoes of the eternal powers of ancestry, spirit, nature, and love on every page."  ~ Melissa M. Firman, author and book blogger, The Betty and Boo Chronicles, http://bettyboochronicles.blogspot.com 

For ordering information for The Prophecy (Book 2, The Spirit Keeper series), follow this Goodreads link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17878345-the-prophecy

For The Spirit Keeper, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12369175-the-spirit-keeper














I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2013, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

This is really cool, congrats!!

Melissa said...

Once again, thank you for all you did to help make THE PROPHECY into the fabulous book (I think) it is. You offered such wonderful editorial advice, and I would happily recommend you to others in need of a fresh pair of eyes.

PS - You're such an awesome writer yourself that I was scare - SCARED! - about letting you read one of my unpublished books. But you handled it, and my feelings with TLC. :-)