Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Something Old, Something New



We have a wedding to celebrate this weekend, one that comes close on the heels of the 20th anniversary of our own. My mother will mark a milestone birthday that she would probably rather me not mention. In a few weeks, I will have been jobless for a year - the longest stretch since I was 15. Other recent life-shifting events have contributed to my reflective mood.  
For awhile now, I've been pondering a name change for the blog. Several of you know this and have been helping me brainstorm for awhile. Back in August 2008, I called this corner of the Internet The Betty and Boo Chronicles to keep far-flung family members updated on my kids (who are the “Betty” and the “Boo” in the title). 
But shortly, my original vision for what this blog would become evolved into something different. (Life tends to do that sometimes.) 
I discovered book blogging, and I started to review books and participate more and more within this fantastic community. The blog also became a place where I wrote about our family’s journey raising a child with autism, my thoughts on politics (and sometimes my son’s), the novel I’m in the process of writing, our move to Pittsburgh, coping with long-term unemployment, what we had for dinner, issues in the news, and more.
And then a funny thing happened. As the kids grew, the blog grew up, too. Instead of being about chronicling Betty and Boo, it became more about chronicling … me. My journey as a professional, an entrepreneur, a writer, a special needs advocate, a feminist, a wife, a mom.
Which leads us here. Longtime readers know that I’ve been pondering a name change for awhile, one that still encompasses all of the above (and more – such as upcoming writing and my entrepreneurial endeavors) while moving away from the cuteness of the “Betty and Boo” aspect. (Although at 11, they are still pretty cute … but don’t tell them their mom said that!)
The only blog name for now?
Is mine. 
The real one.
So, I'm not giving up blogging. Quite the opposite. I'll be shifting most of my attention - and new content - over to www.melissafirman.com and I hope you'll join me there. It's still a work in progress (isn't everything?) and I'll keep this blog up for awhile longer, but I'm proud of the work I've done over the last few days on the site and I'm excited about what's to come. 
I hope you are too. 



I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you!

copyright 2013, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

No comments: