Sunday, June 2, 2013

In Appreciation of Jean Stapleton: Those Were the Days (when tv dared to mention rape and cancer and lesbians)

Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh, PA
taken by me, August 2011

Jean Stapleton was no dingbat.
Emmy-award winning actress Jean Stapleton died on Friday, at the age of 90. Although Ms. Stapleton had a rich and productive career in the theater and on Broadway, she is, of course, best remembered for her endearing portrayal of Edith Bunker, the daffy and long-suffering wife of “lovable bigot” Archie. 
Like my 40-something peers of my generation, I grew up watching “All in the Family” in real-time. I’m old enough to remember not quite getting the jokes as I laughed along with my parents and grandparents (the same reaction as my kids have today when they watch Edith, Archie, Gloria, and Meathead in re-runs on YouTube) but realizing that the male characters were a little too familiar to the ones (my grandfathers, namely) who were sitting next to me on the couch ....continue reading the rest of this post on my new website, www.melissafirman.com. 
(Quick link to re-subscribe: www.melissafirman.com/feed so you don't miss a post.) 








I am an Amazon.com Affiliate. Making a purchase via any of the Amazon.com links on The Betty and Boo Chronicles will result in my earning a small percentage in commission, which will be used to support the upkeep of this blog, as well as the real-life versions of Betty and Boo. Thank you! copyright 2013, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

No comments: